The Davis LLP Taxation Group is actively involved in providing legal services in all aspects of federal and provincial taxation. We have extensive experience in corporate tax planning, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, investments by Canadians in other jurisdictions, non-resident investment in Canada and tax planning for owner-managers.
We also have significant expertise in all aspects of tax litigation, including dispute resolution with the Canada Revenue Agency and representing clients in cases before provincial courts, the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
We have developed particular expertise in the following specific areas of taxation:
- Tax planning for private and public infrastructure projects, including public private partnerships
- Tax planning for inbound and outbound cross-border Canadian investments
- Tax planning for Canadian and foreign-based families, including the use of trusts and all aspects of tax planning for estates
- Tax-efficient corporate financings and securitization, syndicated tax shelters, lease transactions
- Tax-effective structuring of complex corporate reorganizations, debt restructuring, acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures and partnerships
- Taxation of executives and employee compensation
- Taxation of Aboriginal peoples, including the taxation of First Nations and the structuring of joint ventures with First Nations
- Tax planning for technology companies
- Provincial taxes, such as sales tax, corporation capital tax and property transfer tax
- Tax-effective structuring and re-structuring of franchise systems
- Federal commodity taxes, such as customs duties and goods and services tax
- Dispute resolution with Canada Revenue Agency and litigation of tax cases at all court levels