The Davis LLP Media, Entertainment & Communications Law Practice Group provides corporate and legal advice to clients active in film & television production, communications, broadcasting, animation, print, music and technology.
Our clients in this sector include producers and independent production companies, as well as financiers involved in film & television and lending & equity placement.
We strive to assist our clients in achieving their long-term business objectives and financial strategies. We offer high-level legal expertise in business development, financing, production, distribution, insurance and entertainment related labor issues.
Specifically, we assist with:
- Production and distribution matters
- Financing structures, including securitization of tax credits and government agency
- Entertainment related insurance including completion bond requirements
- Rights licensing
- Talent and labour relations
- Music Clearance
- Intellectual property law, including issues related to errors & omissions, copyrights and trade-marks
- Corporate/commercial/securities law
- Mergers, amalgamations, acquisitions and takeover defences
- Insurance/risk management
- Taxation matters, including tax credits, withholding tax and commodities tax
- Litigation in the federal and provincial trial and appellate courts, and in the Supreme Court of Canada
- Freedom of expression, defamation and “newsroom” law
- Privacy, publicity and personality rights issues
- Copyright Board
- Marketing and publicity law
- Labour, employment and personnel matters, including advocacy before arbitrators, tribunals, and federal and provincial labour relations boards