For more than half a century, Davis LLP has been one of Canada’s leading firms handling investments and transactions between Asia and Canada. Our firm has significant experience across Asia and in all sectors of the economy. We represent clients from the People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines, Indonesia and elsewhere, as well as many Canadian clients active throughout Asia.
Our China & Southeast Asia Practice Group is a multi-disciplinary team that includes a former Hong Kong lawyer and two Chinese legal counsel with experience practicing law in China. We are fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and Japanese.
Davis LLP clients benefit from our experience, expertise and connections throughout China and southeast Asia. We help them understand the local legal and business environment and collaborate with them to formulate customized business strategies to help them achieve their objectives. Further, we draw upon our firm’s expertise in tax, business law, mining, forestry and other areas to give our clients superior advice on all aspects of their enterprise or investment.
- Advised Canadian clients negotiating manufacturing, real estate and technology joint ventures throughout Asia.
- Represented the lead party responsible for redeveloping Shanghai’s famous and historic Jewish Quarter (the Living Bridge Tilanqiao redevelopment).
- Advised clients on ongoing matters pertaining to investment structuring, manufacturing and distribution in China.
- Negotiated, on behalf of a Vancouver water treatment company, a technology joint venture and licencing agreement in China.
- Orchestrated reverse takeovers of Chinese companies and projects to gain listings on Canadian stock exchanges, including those in energy, infrastructure, technology and manufacturing sectors in China.
- Represented a Chinese company in its acquisition of a Canadian forest licence and cutting permits.
- Acted as Canadian counsel in the spin-off of a Canadian real estate division of a Hong Kong public company.
- Advised a Hong Kong developer on all aspects of a Vancouver high-rise condominium tower development, including investment structuring, regulatory approval, development marketing and construction financing.
- Enforced several famous Hong Kong trade-marks in Canada.
- Successfully negotiated with the National Research Council of Canada to license, commercialize and market a significant new medical technology in China.
- Advised Asian multinational corporations on an international structure for holding and licencing intellectual property assets on a tax-effective basis.
- Prepared and filed North American patent applications for a prominent Chinese university and manaed patent portfolios for a Singapore-based biotechnology company.
- Represented first-tier Asian banks seeking to identify, freeze and recover assets in Canada derived from theft and fraud occurring in Asia. Coordinated activities with authorities and legal counsel in Asia and North America.
- Represented Asian investors, executives, professionals and others in their Canadian immigration and work permit applications.