Michael Mjanes is an associate in Davis LLP's Vancouver office, and advises clients in connection with real estate acquisitions and sales, commercial leasing, share and asset transactions, corporate re-structuring, financings, commercial contracts and general corporate matters. He is a member of Davis LLP's Real Estate and Corporate/Commercial Practice Groups.
Recent work includes:
- negotiation and acquisition of real property rights and land parcels necessary for development of a new BC mine;
- acquisition of a Class A heritage building in downtown Vancouver;
- negotiation of ground lease and development agreements for a major industrial processing and shipping facility in Prince Rupert, BC;
- acquisition of a survey and analytics firm by its principal lender;
- sale of shopping centres in Delta;
- development of medical services buildings on multiple sites in BC and Alberta;
- the sale of businesses including a leading food distributor, a major auto dealership, a specialized glass manufacturer, and a civil engineering firm.
Michael also assists clients with office, retail and industrial leasing matters, and has acted for corporate borrowers in connection with commercial loans and credit facilities.
Michael is a volunteer with Access Pro Bono's courthouse clinics, and also provides pro bono legal services to the Hockey Education Reaching Out Society (HEROS) and the Alzheimer Society of British Columbia. He is a director of the Tapestry Foundation for Health Care, a foundation which supports seniors and patients at seven hospitals and residences operated by Providence Health Care in Vancouver.
Michael holds a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts (Political Science) from the University of British Columbia. He articled at Davis and joined the firm as an associate in 2008. Prior to practicing law, Michael worked as a political advisor in the Ontario government from 2000 to 2003.