Donald Campbell is the Senior Strategy Advisor at Davis LLP. His role is to provide non-legal advisory services to the firm's clients in connection with their business strategies, with a particular emphasis on strategies dealing with governments and governmental agencies in Canada and internationally.
Prior to joining Davis, Donald was Executive Vice-President of CAE Inc. He joined CAE in September 2000 and served as Group President of the Military Simulation and Training Division until June, 2006.
During his time at CAE he led the company's world-wide government procurement activities and obtained extensive experience in negotiating PPP and PFI transactions, primarily in the military sector.
In 2003, Donald was appointed by the prime minister as the Canadian Co-chair of the Canada-Japan Forum, an external advisory group established by the governments of Japan and Canada to provide advice and to promote the bilateral relationship between the two countries.
Prior to his time at CAE, Donald had a distinguished career with Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.
As Canada’s Ambassador to Japan, Donald oversaw significant development in Canada’s economic and trade relationship with Japan.
As Deputy Minister of International Trade, he supervised the negotiation of the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and as Assistant Deputy Minister, Donald was deeply involved in the Canada-United States Free Trade Agreement.
Donald Campbell is a frequent commentator on international, political and economic issues on Canadian national television and other fora.
Donald was formerly:
- Executive Vice President, Group President CAE Inc. 2000 until 2007
- Deputy Foreign Minister (1997-2000)
- Prime Minister's Personal Representative for G-8 Summits (1997-2000)
- Canada's Ambassador to Japan (1993-1997)
- Deputy Minister for International Trade (1989-1993)
- Assistant Deputy Minister (United States) (1985-1989)
- Canada's Ambassador to Korea (1984-1985)
- Other foreign assignments include Kenya, the United Kingdom, Jamaica and the United States