Andrew Lord is a corporate/commercial associate in Davis LLP's Toronto office. With a background in engineering and business consulting, Andrew is able to provide legal advice that is tailored to his client's technical and business needs. He regularly advises clients on a broad variety of corporate matters, including financings, corporate governance matters, and the negotiation and drafting of complex commercial agreements. Andrew works with clients in a broad range of industries and has particular experience in the power generation and IT sectors.
Andrew has played a significant role in the following deals:
- financing for the construction of 20 solar fields (aggregate 165 MW) across Ontario;
- financing for the acquisition of a 100 MW portfolio of solar fields in Ontario;
- acquisition by an international client of an equity interest in a utility-scale wind farm in Ontario;
- due diligence in respect of the acquisition of gas-fired generation assets in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia and the development of co-generation and district heating projects in Ontario and Northwest Territories;
- establishment of a Regional Innovation Centre within the Ontario Network of Excellence;
- acquisition of control of Canadian publishing business;
- acquisition of specialty paints and coatings business.
Andrew provides both regulatory and commercial advice to clients who want to participate in Ontario's dynamic electricity sector. He has helped many clients navigate the Ontario Power Authority’s Feed-in Tariff (FIT) program. He has appeared before the Ontario Energy Board in utility rate hearings.
With an engineering background, Andrew enjoys helping clients in technical industries negotiate winning deals to grow their businesses. His contract negotiation experience includes: solar rooftop leases; engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) and operations & maintenance (O&M) agreements for rooftop and ground-mounted solar projects; master services, software and equipment supply agreements between IT suppliers and customers; and a variety of other business-to-business agreements.
Andrew works with a number of fast-growing, innovative clients. He has assisted them with unanimous shareholders agreements and other governance documents and with a number of private financings and asset/share transactions.
Andrew joined Davis LLP in 2006 as a student and subsequently articled with the firm. He returned as an associate following his call to the bar in 2008. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Andrew provided procurement and marketing consulting to clients in the telecom and banking sectors. Andrew has also worked as a business analyst for an e-commerce portal and as a product development supervisor for a sourcing company in Hong Kong.
Andrew earned his Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering in 1999 and his LL.B. in 2007, both from Queen's University.