Davis LLP has remained a leading advisor of legal services for more than a century. We have built a solid reputation as a sophisticated firm whose professionals provide innovative yet practical solutions to straightforward as well complex situations.
Paralegals and Legal Administrative Assistants are critical to our success. They perform a large bulk of non-lawyer work, enabling lawyers to strategize with clients and each other, attend court, as well as participate in business-development activities.
We want to work with individuals who embrace our approach and will uphold/advocate our standing/status in the marketplace. If you appreciate challenges, think creatively as well as sensibly and enjoy a fast-paced legal environment working with small teams as well as independently, we want to hear from you.
Davis LLP is one of Canada’s leading law firms with a team of innovative, proactive and dedicated lawyers, administrative and support staff who serve our clients in Canada, the Pacific Rim and around the world. We offer competitive salaries and benefits including a generous, top-rated employee pension plan. We believe that all members of our team need to work together to provide world class service to our clients.
Are you a Legal Assistant with a background in Corporate, Commercial? If so we would like to hear from you!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Update and revise a variety of often lengthy documents;
- Maintain records of all client files, related records and general files;
- Edit, format, print and revise letters, memos, reports, forms, labels and other printed material using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, from dictation or other instruction as required;
- Perform a variety of routine tasks as well as special projects as required;
- Answer the telephone, route callers, take messages and provide routine information to callers;
- Maintain daily appointment calendars, meeting bookings, make travel arrangements as required;
- Input all time entries daily and process all accounts for the lawyers;
- Open and close client/matter files;
- Open and sort mail;
- Perform administrative and related duties as assigned and to assist others in the department as required;
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Qualities & Experience Required
- Minimum two years' previous Legal Assistant experience in Corporate Commercial required;
- Formal Legal Assistant education and training an asset;
- Intermediate PC skills, particularly with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Excellent organizational and time management abilities required to prioritize a high volume of tasks or competing priorities;
- Dedicated to providing service beyond expectation;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proven problem-solving skills with the ability to visualize and deliver creative solutions; and
- Ability to manage multiple internal clients and be adaptable to the needs of each.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
While we might not have a current opening in your area, we always welcome applications for all of our Staff positions.
Several offices host Legal Administrative Assistant practicum placements throughout the year. Our goal is to provide a valuable experience for the student as they begin to apply what they have studied in school.
If you are interested in a practicum placement, please submit your resume and include what dates you wish to complete your practicum. We will be in touch if we are able to accommodate your placement.
We depend on our paraprofessionals for their strong expertise and trustworthy support. We recognize their credentials and present opportunities to further develop their skills and training so that they can perform even more challenging tasks, and heighten their roles and responsibilities.
Our international clientele provides the opportunity to gain skills and experience doing work in multiple jurisdictions. Our robust infrastructure of researchers, knowledge managers, word processors and office services staff, provides a team upon which our paraprofessionals can rely for assistance. All of our professional staff are encouraged to speak to their managers and Human Resources about how local associations, conferences and seminars may enhance their skills and their contributions to Davis LLP.
We also offer in-house technical training courses to all employees to ensure they keep their skills current within the comforts of Davis LLP's offices.
Davis LLP is a full service firm so there can be many opportunities in a wide variety of legal practice areas and we are often looking for strong people to join those teams.
How do I apply?
Apply online directly, either to a specific posting or for General Consideration.
What format should I submit my résumé in?
Please provide either a WORD document or PDF. Our system will automatically fill in the application and will attach your résumé.
Will you contact me regarding the status of my submission?
You will receive an email to confirm that we have received your application. We will contact you if we believe your credentials match opportunities within the firm.
How long will you keep my resume on file?
We keep all résumés on file for one year.